History

GCC is the second-oldest surviving cricket club in the United States today. Its part in the sport during the 19th century was of international rank. In the 20th century the club has played an important role in the history of tennis and squash.
 
Manheim, the present 14-acre site of the Club, was secured in 1890. The stately clubhouse, was designed by the renowned architectural firm of McKim, Meade, and White and gained National Historic Landmark status in 1987.
 
Germantown Cricket has played an important and historic role in its key sport activities beyond cricket. Our Club members have excelled as state, national and world champions in both tennis and squash. Champions Bill Johnson and Big Bill Tilden, who grew up a block from the Club entrance, are part of a proud GCC tennis heritage. The role of women in tennis also received a perceptible impetus at Germantown. A tournament held in 1887 and 1888 became the first official U.S. championship for women in 1889. The Club was a founding member of what is now the USTA, and was the site of the U.S. Lawn Tennis Championships (today’s U.S. Open) in the 1920s. Davis Cup matches were played here in 1924-1927 and again in 1938.
 
In 2004, GCC celebrated its 150th anniversary. During the sesquicentennial year, the Club completed 30 years of hosting the U.S.T.A. Senior Men’s Grass Court Championships, and hosted the U.S.T.A Senior Women’s Grass Court Championships, the International Tennis Federation Senior World Championships, and the World Squash Doubles Championships.

foodbev1tiff002tiff005tiff003tiff004999911-2black and white clubhouse perspectiveClubhouse perspective black and whitefront of club house oldclubhouse old picture 2clubhouse old picturetournament old
Click Here for more information on the history of Germantown Cricket Club.